With Ecuadorian shrimp blowing away previous record monthly export numbers across the globe in recent months, IntraFish decided to put together a list of the 10 biggest exporters from the South American nation.
Numbers from 2021 provided by Ecuador's Camara Nacional de Acuacultura (CNA) trade association show Santa Priscila, leading the field over Omarsa and Songa.
In the first eight months of this year, Ecuador's global shipments were up 32 percent from a year earlier to 1.54 billion pounds.
Despite the Ecuadorian shrimp industry trying to reduce its reliance on the Chinese market, exports to China set a new record at 122 million pounds in July, breezing past the previous best of 116 million pounds established in May 2020.
From January to August exports to China climbed 67 percent to 826 million pounds.
- From shrimp farming to putting women in the C-suite, this venture fund wants its seafood investments to pack a punch
- Indonesia shrimp exports up 3% in first seven months
- India's farmed shrimp exports dip 2% in first seven months
- GM salmon producer AquaBounty considering move into shrimp farming sector
- EU land-based shrimp farmers team with Protix, others on insect-based feed