Boston Mayor Marty Walsh on Thursday hinted that his city could follow in the footsteps of Los Angeles and potentially ban all large gatherings through the rest of this year.
The fate of the Boston event, which has been rescheduled to September as a result of coronavirus restrictions, is still uncertain.
In an interview with CNN, Walsh was asked: “And I want to ask you about something the mayor of Los Angeles is saying. He's saying that gatherings such as concerts and sporting events, that these may not even come back until next year. Do you think that's going to be the case for Boston as well?”
While Walsh did not directly answer the question, he did say, “well, I think Mayor Garcetti could be right.”
“When you think about -- again, it depends on the data and the information that we have available to us and where we are with the coronavirus, what cases are still active. How much testing do we have? How many people are immune to the virus?” he added.
Earlier in the week, Walsh said discussions of opening up the economy were coming far too soon, according to NBC Boston.
"That's not only unrealistic, that's completely irresponsible," he said. "We are still at the very beginning of this surge. We have to stay focused. We all want to get back to work and get back to normal society, but this is not the time to talk about that."
On Monday alone, Massachusetts reported 1,392 new cases of coronavirus and 88 deaths, bringing the total number of cases to over 26,000, NBC reported.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker said Thursday the "worst part" of the coronavirus pandemic was taking hold in the state.
The Boston Convention Center, where Seafood Expo North America is held annually, has been retrofitted to serve as an emergency field hospital should coronavirus cases overwhelm existing hospitals.
California Governor Gavin Newsom on Tuesday also said large gatherings within the state in June, July and August were unlikely.