Good morning, folks --
The farmed shrimp sector is squeezed between two competing forces: skyrocketing demand as markets rebound vs. logistics challenges driving up costs astronomically. The stories will give you the full picture of where things stand.
The CEO of whitefish giant Espersen warned shipping constraints, combined with general inflation 'on basically everything,' is creating a challenging outlook.
Top executives at Nomad Foods, the world's largest branded frozen fish supplier, also warned inflation is pressuring margins.
Some good logistics news: the first vessel to deliver frozen fish on the controversial Bayside route since US Customs levied $400 million in fines is on its way.
With COP26 commitments being made left and right, the seafood industry runs the risk of falling behind. Here's my take on some ways they can lead.
Global farmed salmon prices should remain firm in 2022, according to agricultural lending giant Rabobank. Here's why.
Norwegian lender DNB agreed: 'No other industry is as well-positioned for the next decade as salmon farming.'
Grieg Seafood was one of the beneficiaries of the strong market as earnings season kicks off.
Mowi has suffered two recent die-offs, both in regions where politics are precarious, and missteps can be costly. The reasons for the losses in Canada and the losses Ireland were very different, though.
Struggling land-based salmon farmer Atlantic Sapphire still needs to overcome some production challenges, and it needs investigators to solve one key mystery.
Sapphire still has an edge on price per kilo for its fish, though: here's what land-based genetically modified farmed salmon costs.
Feed giants Cargill, Biomar and Skretting still have some big concerns about the negotiations over Northeast Atlantic pelagic quotas.
And are plant-based seafood labels really misleading? Judge for yourself in this John Fiorillo commentary.
- Clearwater Seafood's co-owner Premium Brands acquired a Canadian firm
- Thai Union invested in an insect-based pet treats startup
- Japanese giant Mitsui has sold off is North America trading division
- Dutch investment fund Aqua-Spark bought a stake in biotech firm Hofseth BioCare
- Protein giant JBS sealed the deal for salmon farmer Huon
And finally, seafood giant Chuck Bundrant was memorialized in a ceremony in Washington. You can watch the event here.
Keep up with us
You can get my Editor's Picks right into your inbox. Over 50,000 recipients receive our emails each week on a range of topics. See what all the fuss is about.
Also don't forget to follow our podcast. You can find us on most formats, but here's a handy link to the Apple podcast page.
Have a great week ahead.
- 'An ongoing nightmare': Seafood industry's shipping headaches grow as US ports overrun with traffic
- Blue Harvest Fisheries CEO: As global supply chains collapsed, domestic aquaculture took on new urgency
- Chile's farmed salmon escapes last year were highest since 2018, new data shows
- Last Week's Editor's Picks: Canada's salmon farming troubles, seafood shipping congestion, a favorite whitefish in trouble